Being that my favorite one is going to bring more pain than joy, I'm going to pay closer attention to my 2nd favorite team. Wait... I don't have a 2nd favorite team anymore since St John's went from the Red Men to the Red Storm (and they make us look like North Carolina right now).
Guess I need to go down the list of teams I enjoy watching... and root for:
1) North Carolina- I admit this one's too easy, but I have been rooting for them since the late 80s... and despised Duke during that same span. Watching them under Roy Williams is a thing of beauty... it's night and day from what most Alabama fans are used to.
2) UCLA- I followed them closely under the Lavin years. They underachieved in the regular season, but ended up inthe Sweet Sixteen I beileve 4 times. That's still underachieving for UCLA and he was promptly fired when they did miss the NCAAs. While they're a much better team under Howland, they sure are boring to watch.
3) St John's- I'd like to, but I still can't get over the name change. Besides, I already have misery in my favorite team so why double the dosage. Big ups for Mike Jarvis for decimating a once proud program (sarcasm off).
4) UNLV- I loved the Runnin' Rebels in the late 80s/early 90s and I'm glad they're becoming relevant again. As good as Lon Kruger is I still miss Tark the Shark.
5) Arkansas- I know... how could I like another team in the SEC? Obviously, I'll never root for them over us, but I do hope they do well every year. Here's my rationale:
A) It makes the household calm (wife is a big Razorback fan) and
B) A strong Arkansas is good for the rest of the SEC.
6) Georgia Tech- my adopted local team. Like us, they had a flukey tournament run and haven't done much since. Still, being I dislike all things UGA it's natural for me to pull for their rival.
Unrelated... and I doubt anyone cares, but I have chosen my new favorite NFL team. I guess I've lived here long enough to root for a local team and it might as well be the Atlanta Falcons. The playoff bound Atlanta Falcons. They still could win the division and be the 2nd seed, but more than likley they're the 5 seed. Regardless, it's been a great year for them.